World/Level Repository Accessible from Game

Propose new features or changes.

Moderators: SMC Team, MVP

World/Level Repository Accessible from Game

Postby Luiji » 16 Jan 2010 21:54

How about having a world/level repository online that can either be accessed through the web or by clicking on a Contributions menu item on the home screen of SMC. This would make it easier to install new levels through the game instead of having to directly deposit them into your SMC data directory.
Custom Built IBM-Compatible (Arch Linux w/ KDE)
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Dell Inspiron 1440 (Windows Server 2003, Debian w/ KDE)
Dell Inspiron 11z (Linux Mint)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Re: World/Level Repository Accessible from Game

Postby mrvertigo27 » 17 Jan 2010 01:29

thats what the levels section of the forum is for, but i'm sure you mean a more user friendly way to access it right?
I'm A YouTube Gaming Commentator https://www.youtube.com/user/Spitfire25565
mrvertigo27
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby Luiji » 17 Jan 2010 01:52

mrvertigo27 wrote:thats what the levels section of the forum is for, but i'm sure you mean a more user friendly way to access it right?

Essentially. Instead of people just attaching files to a forum it would be like having a database of worlds, levels, and summaries. The main purpose is so that you can install them in-game as supposed to having to:
  • Download the game from the forums.
  • Shut the game down (if it is on).
  • Unpack the file into the correct directory.
  • Restart the game.

It could also prevent conflicts by detecting if multiple worlds and/or levels are using the same file names.
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Postby mrvertigo27 » 17 Jan 2010 01:58

how about this, why dont we have someone (i'll volunteer) package all of the forum submissions into one archive once a month or so including updates to user submitted levels so people can download it from SVN in one shot and unclog the forums,

then later as we get more willing developers we can code a way for the game to download these community levels and update them based on whether the player presses a button that would say (download the latest community levels) or something like that, we could take it one step at a time like that!

like? dislike?
mrvertigo27
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby Luiji » 17 Jan 2010 15:25

I like this "packaged" version idea. I recommend separating the world/level and music archives though, as BowserJr suggested.

Either this or the idea similar to the SuperTux repository would be good. Another mixed possibility would be to have everybody start posting to the repository and then have a button at the bottom of the screen saying "Download All" like MrVertigo's idea.

I am find without the in-game function for awhile if either of these idea become available. Thanks MrV is you do end up managing it!
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Level Repository Problems

Postby Luiji » 17 Jan 2010 16:01

I am not sure whether or not this is in the correct category.

MrVertigo has awesomely volunteered to package levels into tarballs to be downloaded in bulk. I went to the website where they are stored (rapidshare.com) and it seems to want me to create an account to download the files or something weird like that. Can anybody please explain how to download files from rapidshare.com?
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Re: Level Repository Problems

Postby mrvertigo27 » 17 Jan 2010 19:04

click the link posted in the level repository section, then choose free user and if their servers are not maxed out with downloads it will let you download for free. (if their servers are using 75% or more of their processing power or bandwidth it will tell you to try a "free" request annother time)

the level repository files are not without issue. their may be duplicate levels and I have to update all the links between levels and sublevels or re work the naming conventions. I am actively working on this, as I am a strong believer that this is a good idea and it is worth seeing through.
mrvertigo27
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby Luiji » 17 Jan 2010 23:59

Okay, the "to much is being done for non-members" message is really annoying. It will do for now, though.

Why don't you just post the .zip files on the SourceForge.Net project page?
Dell Vostro (Windows 7)
Luiji
MVP
MVP

Postby BowserJr » 18 Jan 2010 00:07

^That would make it more like an official level pack. If we're going to put it on the download page as a level pack, there needs to be some quality control and other boring stuff that goes against the idea of a user repo. ;)

I could do it, but I'd definitely want FluXy's approval first, and it seems like a bad idea to me (especially if it contains new game graphics/ music).
"Plants need to have water poured on them because they have no hands to hold glasses of water."
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby levelengine » 18 Jan 2010 01:39

I actually started disliking the idea of the whole repository thing as soon as I saw it
(Sorry MrVertigo). I also don't like this repository idea. :(

Levelengine :mrgreen:
levelengine
Furball Boss
Furball Boss

Postby BowserJr » 18 Jan 2010 10:18

I've moved some posts to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3122 relating to an online repository to download levels from. Continue discussion of in-game repositories and level packs here.

I also merged in posts from the other discussion, because I was getting confused. :?
"Plants need to have water poured on them because they have no hands to hold glasses of water."
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby mrvertigo27 » 18 Jan 2010 15:20

levelengine wrote:I actually started disliking the idea of the whole repository thing as soon as I saw it
(Sorry MrVertigo). I also don't like this repository idea. :(

Levelengine :mrgreen:

well, heres the plan, from now on out the repository will only be for levels more than say three months old, and levels will stay on the boards til they reach a certain age. the reasoning for doing this is one reason is to have a central place to grab levels annother reason is that quite a few levels that i put in the repository were unzipped and taking up 78 meg on the boards :shock: and since we often have issues with the boards being clogged it seemed like a great idea to zip all of these and place them in a central spot. over the next few days I will be refining the "levelpack" so that once downloaded all a user will have to do is unzip the folder to the smc directory and the pixmaps and sounds will be placed in the proper places, there will also be a link coming soon of levels without these added pixmaps. I will also add directions in the repository topics so we can do this as seemlessly as posible. Level designers can of course post as usual and every few months everything will just be updated.

BTW: 78 meg worth of smc level files is ALOT!!!!!!!!!!! and it might be more than 2 or three months if we can all work together to ensure that all files are ziped and updated rather than having multiple copies floating around, something like what Robwood does with his levels.
mrvertigo27
SMC Team
SMC Team

Return to Feature Requests