"How to"

Discussion about levels and worlds.

Moderators: FluXy, SMC Team

"How to"

Postby jazzvb » 12 May 2009 00:12

Hello,

Probably due to the many posts I cannot find a good manual about how to install new levels/worlds. So my question is, how do I do that?
Are there any new levels made for the Mac, SMC version 1.6?

Thanks. Cant wait to finish new ones...
Jazz
I have no signature
jazzvb
Furball blue
Furball blue

Re: "How to"

Postby BowserJr » 12 May 2009 09:45

Any level on the forum can be installed into any version of the game, but newer levels may not be fully compatible with older game versions. You should upgrade to the latest version to be able to play all the levels here.

For Mac: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1306&p=7422 I don't know if you can install levels requiring new graphics and music in Mac... :roll:
"Plants need to have water poured on them because they have no hands to hold glasses of water."
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby jazzvb » 12 May 2009 11:23

Thanks for that link. But how do I download the levels?

The problem with the Mac I have, is that the newer versions dont work. I tried 1.8 and 1.7, but they are made for OSX 10.5 and higher ( I have 10.4.11 and it didnt accept those newer versions). I am very happy with 1.6, just hope the new levels are compatible with my OSX version...
I have no signature
jazzvb
Furball blue
Furball blue

Postby BowserJr » 12 May 2009 12:16

Just find a post in Releases and click the attachment to download. If it's a .smclvl file, just move it into that folder. If it's a zip, extract it and move the level files into that folder.
"Plants need to have water poured on them because they have no hands to hold glasses of water."
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby jazzvb » 12 May 2009 13:13

Ok, things are getting clearer and clearer...

After reading your post, I went to Releases and clicked to page 5 (the last one, therefore the 'oldest' new levels). I have some questions about that:

1. some attachments are .txt files, can you use them on a Mac?
2. for example the attachment from David (20 november 2004), is that level already integrated in the newer versions?
3. how can i find out which new levels are integrated in newer versions?
4. or in other words: from which new level should i start downloading?
BowserJr wrote: ... If it's a .smclvl file, just move it into that folder. If it's a zip, extract it and move the level files into that folder.

what folder do you mean with 'that' folder?

sorry for all the questions. it all comes down to the fact that i really like to play smc, i guess... :D
I have no signature
jazzvb
Furball blue
Furball blue

Postby BowserJr » 12 May 2009 17:39

.txt was the old level format (before the new xml based levels introduced in 0.99.3). I think they're still read and playable by the game, but will be very outdated and may contain graphics no longer included in the game. Version 1.6 was released in September 2008, so look for levels released around this time, but not much later for maximum compatibility. :)

List of levels in SMC 1.6: https://opensvn.csie.org/viewcvs.cgi/SM ... C&rev=1182 If the level has the same name, it's probably the same level. ;)

"that" folder was referring to your SMC levels folder, referenced from the link I posted above.
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby jazzvb » 13 May 2009 13:41

Fantastic, thank you!

I think the last question: can I put the new levels in a world, so Maryo can walk from level to level, like the 4 standard ones?

Thanks again.
I have no signature
jazzvb
Furball blue
Furball blue

Postby Konstantin » 13 May 2009 13:54

Sure you can!
You create a new world and put a levelpoint into there then you click on it and put in the name of the level you want! ( My mac crashes by doing that, :( but it should work on any other mac...) :D
All my levels
If you expirience Problems or just Need help, contact me.
My Skype ID: Goggy96
Konstantin
Turtle boss
Turtle boss

Postby jazzvb » 21 May 2009 01:29

sorry for the delay...

i am very happy that that is possible! but here some difficulties from my side:
after you click on start you see two tabs: world and level. it seems i can only start something new in the level tab. how do i create a new world?

okay, i try to understand in my own words what you are saying (my mind works in a strange way...), please correct me if i am wrong: when i am able to create a new world, you also get the possibility to put new levels into that world (how? your 'levelpoint' is the same as a 'normal' new level?). then you can click on that newly made level and somehow you can typ something, which is the name of a level. now, this name of the new level, is that the name of the level you just downloaded? and that download automatically integrates into the list of levels (under start) of maryo?

am i on the right track?

thanks again for the answers. i know i go slow, but i also know i am learning :D
I have no signature
jazzvb
Furball blue
Furball blue

Postby BowserJr » 21 May 2009 09:57

I think that's pretty much right. The level list under start is generated automatically each time you ask for it by searching for level files in two folders: the levels folder that came with the package (smc/data/levels) and a levels folder unique to your installation (the place I told you to put your downloaded levels). Every level in either of those folders goes on the list and can be loaded in the game by typing CTRL+L (was just L on older versions, can't remember how much older). If two levels have the same name, the user generated one will be used over the in-game one.

So, the waypoints (yellow hexagons) in the overworld just act as "links" to these levels. Typing a name into a waypoint and entering it is identical to loading a level with CTRL+L.
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Return to Discussion