UNIX name change

Talk about Maryo and Mario :)

Moderator: SMC Team

Does the name need to be changed?

Poll ended at 03 Apr 2008 20:29

No, it's fine for now
14%
Yes, just a little (Secret M___ Chronicles)
9%
Yes, but keep S____ M_____
9%
Yes, completely changed
69%

Total votes : 35

Re: UNIX name change

Postby Boder » 07 Mar 2008 02:18

Something like,

Lost in Artesia
The Power of the Mushroom
Fruits and Veggies
Boder
Spike
Spike

Postby helios » 07 Mar 2008 09:11

Manscent wrote:Keeping the Acronym SMC:

Sue Me for Copyright infringement? ;-)

Seriously though, what's the big deal with having the package name change? Is it really worth forcing us to keep to the same 3 letter acronym? I kind of get wanting to keep the name an M for the current graphics (even though the M is so tiny as to be unreadable at game size), but the three letter acronym focus seems rather strange.... :?:
Less talk. More draw.
helios
MVP
MVP

Postby Sauer2 » 07 Mar 2008 14:12

My favorites are secret milo chronicles and jump and run revolution.
Sauer2

Postby BowserJr » 07 Mar 2008 14:37

Boder wrote:Lost in Artesia

This is exactly the kind of thingwe should be going for in my opinion. Simple enough to not lend itself to any particular character or story points but interesting enough to be unique and identifiable. Plus it has a suitably mystical feel to it. 8)

Artesia won't work though. We'll get a million angry fans of Artesia: Adventures in the Known World thinking it's some kind of sequel. (I just found that on Google. I don't play it or anything... Image)
"Plants need to have water poured on them because they have no hands to hold glasses of water."
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby youngheart80 » 07 Mar 2008 19:03

I've hesitated weighing in, mostly because I didn't think it would generate this much discussion. I'm actually kind of surprised to see how many ideas and thoughts have been brought out all ready. It's encouraging to see how many people are putting forth good ideas on this.

My feelings at this point are that the name should be changed. I think the story has been pretty well accepted as it currently stands and it offers plenty of opportunity to be expanded upon in the future as new worlds are introduced. I also agree that this should be attached to the SMCE project ideas that has already been started as many of the ideas are in both - redoing enemies, music, etc.; gaining further acceptance in FOSS communities; distancing the game from the standard clone mentality and feel.

I personally call for a re-invest of the SMCE project, but with these new goals as being the drivers for it. Obviously, the name very well may change, but follow the same kinds of approaches. To set a timeline, we'll need to know where a lot of the sub-projects stand (power fruits, buzz, etc) so everyone who has a sub-project, try and make it over to the wiki in the next few days to update the table with where you're at. This weekend, I'll edit SMCE page to give the new goals a place to live and be seen.

I'm sure that SMC 1.5 is just around the corner what with the new enemies that Helios has provided. Let's try and get this organized to move forward.
Never underestimate the power of Knowledge. Unfortunately, it is often hampered by an even greater power: Stupidity.
youngheart80
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby freegamer » 07 Mar 2008 20:31

Just thought I'd throw the idea out there that maybe the first renamed release should be as "[new name] v1.0" to represent the fresh change in direction.
Want Free Games?

Free Gamer - open source games resource
freegamer
Eato
Eato

Postby Boder » 07 Mar 2008 21:04

Knowing FluXy, I don't think he'd want to go backwards in version number and it might mess up the version history.

Little Note: Milo sounds like a dog's name to me
Boder
Spike
Spike

Postby helios » 08 Mar 2008 02:32

BowserJr wrote:This is exactly the kind of thing we should be going for in my opinion. Simple enough to not lend itself to any particular character or story points but interesting enough to be unique and identifiable.

Yes Sir, I like it.

My feelings at this point are that the name should be changed.

Agreed. We just need to make sure its changed enough that we can keep the new one.

I think the story has been pretty well accepted as it currently stands

Um, which one?

I personally call for a re-invest of the SMCE project, but with these new goals as being the drivers for it. Obviously, the name very well may change, but follow the same kinds of approaches.

Totally agree. I'm up for it!

To set a timeline, we'll need to know where a lot of the sub-projects stand (power fruits, buzz, etc) so everyone who has a sub-project, try and make it over to the wiki in the next few days to update the table with where you're at.

OK, I should have a lot more time/and a bit better internet access over the next two weeks, so I'm aiming to get Buzz, Krunch, and possibly Beryl II SVN'd. I'd love to get a turtle replacement (Aarmy/Pango/Someone else?) done, too depending on time. I'd also be game to help out with logo stuff.

Man, I'd just love to see everyone pull together and make this release something spectactular! A kind of KDE3->4 / Gnome 2.1->2.2 sort of better. Something worthy of getting blogged about on the various planet feeds and magazines. Something that makes people who never heard of SMC hear about it, give it a try and help take it to the next level again.

Who's with us? :P
Less talk. More draw.
helios
MVP
MVP

Postby youngheart80 » 08 Mar 2008 03:06

Story of the deep dark forest with Gnushi, etc. At least I thought it was accepted. Maybe it was just that I accepted it and believed everyone else did the same. :oops:

The new SMCE project wiki is coming together. Those who are working on various subprojects, pop over and start adding info about your progress. Hopefully, the way I've expressed it makes sense. I'll do a weekly reminder to update it if anyone wants it. Otherwise, I'll update it as I have time and know what's going on.

Now if we can just get the man in charge to give his opinion, I'll sleep easy. ;)
Never underestimate the power of Knowledge. Unfortunately, it is often hampered by an even greater power: Stupidity.
youngheart80
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby Guest » 08 Mar 2008 15:08

How about the Chronicles of Secret Matthew?

Postby helios » 09 Mar 2008 19:41

youngheart80 wrote:I thought it was accepted.

I like the sound of that. :D I just have no idea how it's decided when something's accepted or not. When someone uploads it to SVN? When FluXy says yes? When more people like it than not? Seems to me that with most things (story, graphics, patches etc) it's just accepted when someone cares enough to finish something in the hope it'll be accepted. :roll:
Less talk. More draw.
helios
MVP
MVP

Postby helios » 09 Mar 2008 22:06

youngheart80 wrote:Those who are working on various subprojects, pop over and start adding info about your progress.

Done! :mrgreen:

Now if we can just get the man in charge to give his opinion, I'll sleep easy. ;)

Aye.
Less talk. More draw.
helios
MVP
MVP

Postby freegamer » 10 Mar 2008 12:50

Boder wrote:Knowing FluXy, I don't think he'd want to go backwards in version number and it might mess up the version history.

Well I'm not advocating going backwards, per se. I'm advocating a fork of SMC. Leave SMC up and around but cease development of it and create a new project with it's own identity that is a complete break from Mario/Maryo.

Of course the word 'fork' is a bit of a misnomer because it would be a fork by the original author and all contributors, but it would make it clear what the status of the project is and for people that really like Mario, SMC can stick around although development would pretty much be dead.
Want Free Games?

freegamer
Eato
Eato

Postby BowserJr » 10 Mar 2008 13:19

I think I'd rather completely kill of SMC, otherwise there'd always be people who use older versions (e.g. from repos) and don't realise they should be using a newer version with a different name. If SMC still exists, people will still be recommending it, and people will still be downloading it. You can never make it too obvious for some people. ;)
"Plants need to have water poured on them because they have no hands to hold glasses of water."
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby Manscent » 10 Mar 2008 18:16

That is a great point Bowser. I have been considering making a list of admin contacts who have sites with old versions of SMC, so I could email them that there is a new release, to use updated screen shots, and that we prefer they link to our download section. But, I'll wait until the name change discussion makes a decision.
Manscent
Spike
Spike

Postby freegamer » 10 Mar 2008 19:08

Since SMC is open source it can't technically be killed off, only discontinued.

Still, my point remains, and what you are talking about is essentially the same thing.

Another thing that bugs me is that really SMC never reached 1.0 status - it's still an unfinished game. It was just that the project ran out of version numbers, which is quite a rubbish reason really to label something 1.0 - IMHO 1.0 is "initial project goals completed" and I think a number of goals remain incomplete for SMC.
Want Free Games?

freegamer
Eato
Eato

Postby youngheart80 » 10 Mar 2008 19:22

freegamer wrote:Another thing that bugs me is that really SMC never reached 1.0 status - it's still an unfinished game. It was just that the project ran out of version numbers, which is quite a rubbish reason really to label something 1.0 - IMHO 1.0 is "initial project goals completed" and I think a number of goals remain incomplete for SMC.

Ah, but that's one of the other joys of open source - no such thing as a "standard" for naming versions. Sure, there's good reason to limit a 1.0 release to a certain level, but that's up to the developer.

Originally, this was suppose to be a mario clone and I think at one point, it met those initial project goals. Recently, with the increase popularity that they game has been seeing in the last year, there was a big push to get certain key milestones met - when we did that, 1.0 released. Now, we've got a completely new set that have slowly been formulated since that 1.0 release.

I can totally relate to odd naming schemes, but I think at this point it's probably moot.
youngheart80
SMC Team
SMC Team

Postby helios » 10 Mar 2008 20:19

Seems to me that we're all saying generally the same thing. Let's put our efforts into a name that elevates perceptions of the game above a clone, that protects the project legally and that gets people pointing to our game as an example of the best of open source (build your own levels, community, gameplay tweaked by hundreds of people) rather than the worst ("just a kock-off of someone else's innovation"). Let's use the new name, new graphics, new features and new levels to get some serious publicity and excitement around the project to bring in new payers and contributors.

Seems from both our discussions and the poll in general that we are looking at a new name. It looks like we are looking at something completely original. Let's get that figured out and the rest should be straight forward.
Less talk. More draw.
helios
MVP
MVP

Postby Manscent » 10 Mar 2008 20:34

Let's create a new thread for name ideas with an optional description of why we think they fit. We could have it open until april 10th. Then we'll have a vote of registered users, where we can only vote once, and the majority will choose our new name.
Manscent
Spike
Spike

Postby BowserJr » 10 Mar 2008 20:41

freegamer wrote:Since SMC is open source it can't technically be killed off, only discontinued.

Still, my point remains, and what you are talking about is essentially the same thing.

Sorry, I must have misunderstood your definition of fork. I thought fork would be the project "there" and anyone who wants to has the option of downloading it. I want what Gaim has now - a redirect to the new project and no mention that it ever existed, with dummy packages in all repos to point to the new version.
BowserJr
SMC Team
SMC Team

PreviousNext

Return to General